Thursday, January 1, 2009

I have hope for 2009.


Snapshot: latter half of 2008. War continues in Iraq, spreads in Afghanistan, Russian forces march into Georgia, Syria sits on the fence, Pakistan and India level threats after terrorist attacks in Mumbai, Israel fires on Hamas in Gaza, and the death knell rings louder and louder.

Will it ever stop?

I don't believe in God per se, so I don't have a prayer for 2009, but I do have hopes. I hope that President Obama's idea of diplomacy will not be at the end of a gun, as Cowboy Bush's has been, and in all likelihood, things are going to change substantially. Let's just hope relations in the Middle East aren't so far gone that there's no turning back--that with a President leading America who wants a more open worldwide dialogue between countries, we can make true progress. But these are big dreams, and right now it's hard to see that far into the future. But we keep squinting, peering into that more hopeful horizon. I hope we never stop doing that. It's what makes us human.
On a more personal note, I hope that my lazy ass will go to the gym on a regular basis, since I'm paying for it anyway!! And, I'd like to learn a lot more about digital photography. I had 2 years of photography waaaay back in high school, but none in college, and this was of course only in the beginning of the digital camera era, so of course my school had us using old Pentax cameras. But the same rules of aperture still apply, only you have no true depth of field with a digital camera...but I digress. Regardless, my husband is into photography as well, so we we will embark on 2009's planned vacations with cameras in hand, ready to explore. :)

I hope that the quality of everyone's lives improve, even in these trying times. There has to be light at the end of our very dark economic tunnel somewhere, and here's hoping the best economic minds collected in Obama's cabinet can pool their resources with the humblest of motives: to save us.

May everyone have a prosperous, healthy,
and exciting 2009!

No comments:

Post a Comment