Friday, May 1, 2009

Dancing the fine line

Yesterday, April 30th, was my best friend's 28th birthday.
 
Yesterday, April 30th, one of my coworkers got a call at work that her husband, age 39, had suffered a heart attack and died.  Their son is 8.
 
Things like these always send me reeling.  If I were a religious person I could just tell myself that when people die they're going to a better place, but I'm not, so it is what it is--painful.
 
My husband and I fight like cats and dogs, but at the end of every day, he's still my best friend.  We can have a horrible fight and call each other names and various expletives, but I can also guarantee that within the hour we'll say 'I love you' and MEAN it.
 
Hug the people you love.  Tell them you love them.  While the unspoken may be understood and a given, hearing the words is still good too, even if the person looks at you as if to say, "What's up with you?"  Just do it.
 
I'm a good hugger--this is known to all of my friends, though the reason why may not be understood.  Every time, I hug them like I'll never see them again.  I never want to regret not having done that.
 
What an amazing and torturous thing it is to be human.
 

****

No comments:

Post a Comment