Sunday, February 22, 2009

What makes someone rich? It's too bad we've all been taught it's money.

This is no major epiphany, but really just something that struck me today while working out at the gym--how ironic and sad it is that 'working out at the gym' is so necessary in America (though many of us don't do it anyway). America, the fattest society on the planet, utterly gluttonous, worries about getting fat while people in other countries across the ocean worry about being able to even eat one full meal per day. I'm decidedly lower-middle-class and my husband and I combined will probably never make more than 60K per year, but that's ok with me as long as all of my basic needs are met. We've ingrained in our brains that there are just some things we will never have, and while it would be nice to have those things, they are material things that don't equate to happiness. But even with our modest means (in regard to American socioeconomic status), we are positively RICH compared to many other people in the world.

It's good for the soul to put things in perspective once in a while. Just a thought.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. So many people are complaining about the recession because they live way beyond their means. I hope the current economic states knocks Americans down a few notches! It's a much happier place to be able to do with less.

    ReplyDelete